Sunday 27 May 2007

Sergei Rachmaninoff (update)

Maybe it was a coincidence, because I don't listen much to the radio, but two or three days after I published my posting about Rachmaninoff I had some internet-radio on at some golden-oldies station. A few minutes after I turned on this station there was this song "All by myself" by Eric Carmen. Not completely my cup of tea musically speaking, but not as bad as that horrible version by over the top power balladeer Celine Dion.

While the Eric Carmen-version was playing in the background it reminded me about the fact that the song contains almost a literal copy of the theme from the second movement of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2. It's not my own discovery because I never paid that much attention to the Eric Carmen-song. I heard about the copying of the Rachmaninoff-theme some time ago from a Dutch radio-DJ who had an item about classical music themes in pop-music on a music programme on TV.

You can check it for yourself. I've added both the Eric Carmen-song "All by myself" and the second movement of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2. Listen to the few bars before the chorus starts. It's a literal copy, but also the melody of the stanza leans heavily on Rachmaninoff's original.

Funny fact: In a 2006 poll for the Channel 5 program Britain's Favourite Break-up Songs, Eric Carmen's "All by myself" was voted seventeenth.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For ever youngster (whatever age you might have), I forwarded your blog to our former teacher. Speaking about Sergei R., you know who I´m talking about... good luck, blog on!