Sunday 8 July 2007

Pat Metheny again

About two months ago I made a post about Pat Metheny. I also embedded a video from YouTube with Pat Metheny playing a special Pikasso harp guitar. I used the video to support my post about Pat Metheny, how I got in touch with his music etc..

I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that the video I attached at this post is no longer available, due to a copyright claim by Pat Metheny. I checked YouTube but there s not a real alternative video from Pat Metheny playing his Pikasso Guitar, only a short 37 second video, but I can't consider that as a real alternative. It's a bit strange, because there are still loads of other Pat Metheny videos out there on YouTube and I'm pretty sure that the copyright with these videos haven't been settled properly either.

Although maybe an interesting issue, this post is not meant to be to start a discussion about copyrightproblems with videomaterial on YouTube, I just wanted to notify my visitors. The only thing that I would like to say about posting videomaterial from artists is that as long as it's done by a fan to show his or her admiration for an artist or group without any commercial purposes then I don't see much trouble with it. The artist or group in question also can see it as free publicity. But sharklawyers might see this a bit different.

Too bad that the original video is removed. Right now I'm not in the mood to rewrite my first Pat Metheny-post, but I guess I will do that some other time after I find another proper video to go with the post.

No comments: