Monday 8 November 2010

Concerts over the past year (part 1)

In my former post I already announced that I would give an update about the concerts that my wife N. and I went the past year in chronological order with a short review/comment. Of every concert I will embed some video (if available).

On November 30th last year we went to Depeche Mode at Ahoy, Rotterdam. Visiting this concert was a bit of a compensation for their cancellation of their performance at Pinkpop earlier that year due to illness of their lead singer Dave Gahan.

Although I never have been a huge fan of Depeche Mode, I like some of their singles like "Enjoy the silence", "Personal Jesus" (also like the Johnny Cash version) and "I feel You". And they have been unquestionably a major influence in electronic music. Although I didn't had extreme high expectations, the concert was much better than I expected. The sound was good, light show was excellent and their performance was energetic.

One week later we went to Rammstein at the Gelredome, Arnhem. My good friend A. from England especially came to Holland for this concert. If you are looking for sophisticated subtle music, Rammstein is certainly not your band, but WOW how these guys know how to make a show. You won't expect it from Germans, but they also have a good sense of humour. It's a very good live band and you certainly will be entertained.

In April I went to a concert from HoBoLeMa, ( Holdsworth, Bozzio, Levin and Mastelotto ) in Paradiso. HoBoLeMa is a experimental supergroup with the four mentioned members. I went there more or less by accident. It wasn't planned. Two days before the gig I saw the announcement by accident on TV text when I was checking for some other concert. Because I'm a big fan of Allan Holdsworth's guitar playing, Tony Levin's work for King Crimson and Peter Gabriel and Terry Bozzio's work for Frank Zappa and I never saw any of them live and because there were still tickets available I decided to go. Although I didn't know what to expect. Pat Mastelloto was the only unknown musician for me.

The whole concert was completely improvised. Before and after the break they played two pieces of about one hour each. During the introduction Terry Bozzio said that every gig was unique and that the audience but also the musicians didn't know what they could expect and what was about to happen. This was not the type of concert where you could lean backwards in your chair and relax. It required some attention and concentration, because there was a lot happening, music wise. Melody wise it was maybe not exactly the best treat for your ears, but it certainly was very interesting to watch and listen to and I always enjoy to see such Premier League musicians at work.

The below pictures were taken with the mobile phone, so the quality is not that high. On the first pic you can see the impressive drumkit of Terry Bozzio. I don't envy the roadie who has to build up and take down this drumkit every concert.

(click on pic to enlarge)


Paradiso is probably Holland's most famous stage. It's a former church and you can see that from parts of the interior and the stained glass windows (see above picture). Many big names in music played here, from The Rolling Stones to The Ramones and The Sex Pistols and from Kraftwerk to Joy Division.

Enjoy the videos! In part 2 of the other concerts that I/we visited I will write about Andy McKee, Michiel Borstlap (solo), Muse and Them Crooked Vultures and show some videos of these gigs.











No comments: